Fishing gear research is usually conducted aboard commercial fishing vessels out in sea. Turkish fishers are typically committed to their traditions and less open to new technologies and ideas.
Being a fishing gear researcher is a fun and challenging profession in Turkey. Because,
- You are in wild with natural people
- You need to live and work like them
- You need to be able to understand them, express yourself and gain their respect
- You need to be ready to survive under harsh condition on board such as sleepless nights
- The most challenging part is bridging the gap between the knowledge of traditional fishers and all new SMART technologies to secure their future.
Text: Cukurova University and Mersin University, Photos: Gokhan Gokce (Cukurova University Fisheries Faculty)